Ford Lightning Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You guys realize what it’s gonna take to wire that charger into most of your houses. I’m in the process of building a house and I’ve specifically located the panel in the garage, mostly for aesthetics, but it did make for a shorter run to wire the charger. I’m an electrician. Unfortunately even with the panel in my garage I have to run the wire to the opposite side. I have to do some more research into the wires and obviously I don’t have the specs of the unit yet but it looks like 2-2-2-4 ser is going to be the best option for most people. God for bid your run is over a certain distance and you have to size the wire for a voltage drop. Let alone how much of your house you may have to open up for the install. Frankly it’s going to be a motherfucker for most people and expensive as all hell

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm so 2224 aluminum ser at 2.50 a ft +\- could work. Basically your wire for a 100 amp sub panel derated for an appliance circuit. Is there any info about the connection on the charger side? Breaker is about 50$ unless you live in an area with the 2020 new code then it may need to be gfci? Not on that code yet but that could be a problem. Idk if the charger has a plug or it’s (likely) direct wire. Hopefully it’s rated for the aluminum wire or there will be some additional funny business. Might not be horrible price wise for materials, but running that cable won’t always be fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i was wondering the same. I have a 200amp panel that is full, looks like I will need to add a 100amp sub-panel then to run the wire to other side of 3 car garage. Seems the best option is to share dryer circuit and add plug in garage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was wondering the same. I have a 200amp panel that is full, looks like I will need to add a 100amp sub-panel then to run the wire to other side of 3 car garage. Seems the best option is to share dryer circuit and add plug in garage.
What do you mean by share? Dryer circuit is 30 amps. You could probably get away with putting in some tandem breakers to free up two spaces.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What do you mean by share? Dryer circuit is 30 amps. You could probably get away with putting in some tandem breakers to free up two spaces.
I have 5 tandem breakers already. I was thinking of using dryer circuit for mobile charger bc Pro charger seems to be a hassle for me to get setup not to mention cost. I have no idea the cost of a new panel and pro charger installation. I am no electrician. I really wanted to be able to run house off truck as hurricanes/power outages are frequent in Florida.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 5 tandem breakers already. I was thinking of using dryer circuit for mobile charger bc Pro charger seems to be a hassle for me to get setup not to mention cost. I have no idea the cost of a new panel and pro charger installation. I am no electrician. I really wanted to be able to run house off truck as hurricanes/power outages are frequent in Florida.
Damn. Is it a 40 circuit panel do you know? Like 3” long? Idk your house or your lay out but you should do it. Even if it’s 2500$ to get it going that seems small compared to the 50k you’re likely out to drop on a truck

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you want to power the house from the truck it may be good to get a sub panel anyway. You can put the essential circuits in the sub panel so that you don’t deplete your car battery for non essential load.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would also advise that you should place what ever charger you use close to the door so you can charge the truck outside. New design EV possible fire when charging? Why risk it my garage is under my house, specifically under my bedroom. for at least the first year charging will be done outside, under my security camera.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts