⚡ Ford Lightning Forum ⚡ banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just placed my order and it was accepted. As others have noticed, you can only order a Lariat or a Platinum right now. As a contractor I've gotten to appreciate both leather, heated seats and a leather, heated steering wheel. Not only are they easy to keep clean, but its nice to warm up when you've been working outside in the cold. This is really the only reason I'm spending the extra money to get the Lariat. However, when I look at the interior specifications, it mentions leather, but there is no mention of "heated." Am I just being paranoid, or have they actually removed the heating elements due to supply problems? Does anyone know or remember if their specifications called out "heated" or is it just assumed. I mean--even the XLT's come standard with heated seats.
Thanks!

· Registered
207 Posts
I believe at least the heated steering wheel has been getting deleted out for everyone, at least from what I've read from others.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh wow! Thanks for your response! I did a google search and a lot of conflicting info came up. Sure hope Ford can make us “whole” again when they’re able to get parts. I have a fully-loaded Honda Ridgeline that was literally 1/2 the price. I can’t imagine going backwards with features I’ve gotten used to.

· Registered
2023 Ford Lightning ER Lariat
27 Posts
I just placed my order and it was accepted. As others have noticed, you can only order a Lariat or a Platinum right now. As a contractor I've gotten to appreciate both leather, heated seats and a leather, heated steering wheel. Not only are they easy to keep clean, but its nice to warm up when you've been working outside in the cold. This is really the only reason I'm spending the extra money to get the Lariat. However, when I look at the interior specifications, it mentions leather, but there is no mention of "heated." Am I just being paranoid, or have they actually removed the heating elements due to supply problems? Does anyone know or remember if their specifications called out "heated" or is it just assumed. I mean--even the XLT's come standard with heated seats.
Thanks!
Heated steering wheel on my '23 Lariat recent delivery had a $140 credit since components were NOT available - heated seats are wonderful - steering wheel heat may be added later per Ford.

· Registered
749 Posts
I just took delivery and while I was disappointed on the heated steering wheel delete, the heated seats are great. Further, the ability to precondition or remote start from phone makes it less of a big deal. Just remember to remote start your truck when wrapping up on a site and it will be toasty warm.

· Registered
20 Posts
Thanks!
I am hardly an expert having closed my Lightening purchase only a week ago, but I'm quite certain that all these vehicles use heated seats and steering wheels as a mechanism to make drivers comfortable w/o heating the cabin air. It's far more efficient to warm the occupants blood via seat heating (& cooling BTW) than to heat the cabin air. That option is available in spades and works well -- it just isn't as efficient. For those with fast charging at home it's a nothingburger, for those concerned with range, it's meaningful.

· Registered
2020 Lariat w/502A & tech pkg
47 Posts
Oh wow! Thanks for your response! I did a google search and a lot of conflicting info came up. Sure hope Ford can make us “whole” again when they’re able to get parts. I have a fully-loaded Honda Ridgeline that was literally 1/2 the price. I can’t imagine going backwards with features I’ve gotten used to.
I hear ya. I’m going to take delivery of an XLT SR Lightning any day now. I’ll be trading in my 2020 F150 Lariat. Whoever ordered it checked almost every box. There’s stuff I don’t even use or use that often. Like self parking. What I’m really going to miss is the heated steering wheel and ventilated seats. Both of which might be available aftermarket. I might have Katzkin seat covers installed with ventilation for the front seats. And I’m hopeful the steering wheel can be done too. Forums posts lead me to believe it could be possible. I could live without the panoramic roof. Though it would be nice in the winter. For the greenhouse effect.

· Registered
20 Posts
I am hardly an expert having closed my Lightening purchase only a week ago, but I'm quite certain that all these vehicles use heated seats and steering wheels as a mechanism to make drivers comfortable w/o heating the cabin air. It's far more efficient to warm the occupants blood via seat heating (& cooling BTW) than to heat the cabin air. That option is available in spades and works well -- it just isn't as efficient. For those with fast charging at home it's a nothingburger, for those concerned with range, it's meaningful.
I hear ya. I’m going to take delivery of an XLT SR Lightning any day now. I’ll be trading in my 2020 F150 Lariat. Whoever ordered it checked almost every box. There’s stuff I don’t even use or use that often. Like self parking. What I’m really going to miss is the heated steering wheel and ventilated seats. Both of which might be available aftermarket. I might have Katzkin seat covers installed with ventilation for the front seats. And I’m hopeful the steering wheel can be done too. Forums posts lead me to believe it could be possible. I could live without the panoramic roof. Though it would be nice in the winter. For the greenhouse effect.
I can't believe that your can get a Lightening sans elec seats (heat & AC) and a heated steering wheel. Trucks that have to use batteries to heat cabin have a meaningful degradation in range. I get your truck will have them.

· Registered
2023 Antimatter Blue Lariat ER
9 Posts
My heated steering wheel was removed, but honestly the truck's climate control seems nearly instantaneous and keeps the temperature for as long as you are in it. I haven't had to use any of the heated seats, though I used the ventilation, and it was amazing. They did really good with the climate control so I don't know that you will really miss the heated steering wheel. Though I guess if you are used to it you might.

· Registered
20 Posts
My heated steering wheel was removed, but honestly the truck's climate control seems nearly instantaneous and keeps the temperature for as long as you are in it. I haven't had to use any of the heated seats, though I used the ventilation, and it was amazing. They did really good with the climate control so I don't know that you will really miss the heated steering wheel. Though I guess if you are used to it you might.
The Lightening does a great job of providing heat/AC the old way -- modifying the cabin air temp. That is so yesterday. It also wastes a lot of juice and reduces range. It takes a while to get used to the idea of heating your body by keeping your blood warm (or cool) via the seat.

It's been single digit cool here the last few mornings here. I've been heating the cabin air to get comfortable while the seats/steering wheel heat up -- and then turning it off. The Lightening has a setting that allows one to see where energy goes. The main categories are Driving, Climate & Accessories. In cold weather, heating the cabin air can consume almost as much juice as propulsion. If you don't drive far every day and have fast charging, it's no big deal. Otherwise, it reduces range quite dramatically.

· Registered
2023 Antimatter Blue Lariat ER
9 Posts
Yeah. It's not quite that cold here (SC) but it's been in the 20-30s in the mornings. It's decreased my range a bit, but not bad. The power monitor you're talking about shows how much is lost through external climate too, and it's a big draw in the morning. I need to use the seat warmers and try that on my range though and see what the difference is for me. I drive a lot of highway miles so I'm on the low end of range as it is.

· Registered
12 Posts
Thanks!
i ordered exactly your rig - Lariot with SR. and, like you, the seats are the only reason (wife driven!). heated seats are standard above the Pro. Not sure if ventilated seats are. but they ran out of the heated steering wheels last year. I literaly got a (-$150) line item on my order for the heated steering wheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts