Ford Lightning Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard from Redwood Ford in Ukiah CA and was informed that because of the chip shortage they were going to charge an extra 10,000 to all of the early orders. They wanted to know if I wanted to keep my place in line or get the truck at a later date. I would like to know if this was going on everywhere or if my dealer just gouging me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would move your reservation to another dealer. Your reservation shouldn’t be exclusive to dealer you selected. Find another dealer that is ev certified and talk to sales manager. They will gladly sell you a truck at msrp. I’m sure they can handle the reservation transfer or maybe you need to call ford. Either way don’t let the dealer gouge you for a penny over msrp. I would rather hear about dealers losing reservation holder spots over mark up than people just paying up and losing in the long run.

·
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2016 Nissan Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
136 Posts
I would move your reservation to another dealer. Your reservation shouldn’t be exclusive to dealer you selected. Find another dealer that is ev certified and talk to sales manager. They will gladly sell you a truck at msrp. I’m sure they can handle the reservation transfer or maybe you need to call ford. Either way don’t let the dealer gouge you for a penny over msrp. I would rather hear about dealers losing reservation holder spots over mark up than people just paying up and losing in the long run.
I agree.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just heard from Redwood Ford in Ukiah CA and was informed that because of the chip shortage they were going to charge an extra 10,000 to all of the early orders. They wanted to know if I wanted to keep my place in line or get the truck at a later date. I would like to know if this was going on everywhere or if my dealer just gouging me.
Run far, far away from them. You own the reservation, not the dealer, so you can take your reservation somewhere else with better terms. The general consensus with the dealers in the Southeast is MSRP without any markups for pre-orders and I'm sure there are dealers in your region that would also honor this.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Welcome @brianacres! It's not happening with every dealer but you'll have to do some research to find one that won't screw with you for a ridiculous markup. Which Lightning are you interested in getting?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Run far, far away from them. You own the reservation, not the dealer, so you can take your reservation somewhere else with better terms. The general consensus with the dealers in the Southeast is MSRP without any markups for pre-orders and I'm sure there are dealers in your region that would also honor this.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Have you found a dealer to place a pre-order with @Vandy1981?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah it's ridiculous where dealers get these crazy numbers from. and they wonder why more people want to order directly online and not deal with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are also some states that have price gouging laws, and 10k over a 60k truck would be just that. I would look into your state laws regarding something like this and report it. This is where the sales model of Tesla and Rivian have gotten rid of that and instead go direct to consumer.

·
Registered
Current: 2006 Ram 1500 Future:F150 Lightning
18 Posts
Unfortunately CA only applies price gouging laws during a state of emergency, not every day bullshit.
I would say that Serramonte Ford in Daly City is good, but thats a little far from you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for posting. I will start looking into getting my reservation moved and also try to find another dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As a dealer I'm going to say that it's completely ridiculous but everyone else said it for me :p.

On units that are scarce and rare that aren't going to be produced as often it makes some sense to have a mark up. However with the lightning there are no particular "limited" production models so doesn't warrant any mark up. The dealer should have been happy enough to get the count/chance to have you finance with them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I get that dealers are here to make money and the law of "Supply & Demand" still hold true but when the issue of reservations and orders are in place, dealers need to temper their greed. After those initial orders are fulfilled then I would say it is up to the dealer to charge as they see fit. Prior to that they need to honor and abide by the prices set by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself. Have you found a dealer to place a pre-order with @Vandy1981?
Wyatt Johnson Ford and Two Rivers Ford both told me that they are selling for MSRP and will honor X-plan if offered by Ford. They also both told me they have 100+ reservations which seems amazing for this part of the country.

Ford of Franklin, TN and Hunt Auto, KY never responded to my emails.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, everyone, after calling a few dealerships near me, I found out that Henry Curtis Ford in Petaluma CA was not charging a market up. I was able to call Ford and have my reservation changed there and saving 10000 dollars. Hope that this post helps anyone else that is in the same situation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, everyone, after calling a few dealerships near me, I found out that Henry Curtis Ford in Petaluma CA was not charging a market up. I was able to call Ford and have my reservation changed there and saving 10000 dollars. Hope that this post helps anyone else that is in the same situation.
Did you also report it to Ford that this was happening, because I’m sure they wouldn't be happy as it impacts their brand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you, I'll have to check on that, I wasn't aware of an Illinois credit. Illinois charges more for EV plates, no fuel tax
you are correct

Illinois is setting a lofty goal of 1 million electric vehicles on the road by 2030. The state will pay residents a $4,000 rebate if they decide to purchase one. To increase the number of charging stations available to fuel new electric vehicles, the bill requires the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency to award rebates to help fund 80% of installation costs for charging stations.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts